- Karana, E., Giaccardi, E., Rognoli, V. (2016) Materially Yours, in J. Chapman (ed.) Handbook of Sustainable Product Design, Routledge.
- Giaccardi, E. and Plate, L. (2016) How Memory Comes to Matter: From Social Media to the Internet of Things, in L. Munteán, L. Plate, A. Smelik (eds) Things to Remember: Materializing Memories in Art and Popular Culture, Bloomsbury Academics.
- Duque, S., Giaccardi, E., van der Cammen, T.J.M. (2016) Integrated Care in Practice: Geriatrics, in Goodwin, N. (ed.) Handbook of Integrated Care, Routledge.
- Robbins, H., Giaccardi, E., Karana, E. (2016). Traces as an Approach to Design for Focal Things and Practices. In Proceedings of NordiCHI’16: 11th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction. October 23 – 27, 2016, Gothenburg, Sweden. ACM, 2016. Pages
- Rozendaal, M.C. (2016). Objects with intent: a new paradigm for interaction design. Interactions, 23(3), 62-65.
- Giaccardi, E., Rozendaal, M.C. (2016). Connected everyday lab. interactions, 23(4), 18-21.
- Boon, B., Rozendaal, M., van den Heuvel-Eibrink, M. M., van der Net, J., & Stappers, P. J. (2016). Playscapes: A Design Perspective on Young Children’s Physical Play. In Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Interaction Design and Children. June 21-24, Manchester, UK. Pages 181–189.
- Rozendaal, M.C., Heidingsfelder, M.L., & Kupper, F. (2016, August). Exploring embodied speculation in participatory design and innovation. In Proceedings of the 14th Participatory Design Conference: Short Papers, Interactive Exhibitions, Workshops-Volume 2 (pp. 100-102). ACM.
- Giaccardi, E., Speed, C., Cila, N. and Caldwell, M. (2016) Things As Co-ethnographers: Implications of a Thing Perspective for Design and Anthropology, in Smith, R.C. et al. Design Anthropological Futures, Bloomsbury Academics. Pages
- Karana, E., Giaccardi, E., Stamhuis, N., Goossensen, J. (2016) The Tuning of Materials: A Designer’s Journey. In DIS ’16 Proceedings of the 2016 ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems. June 4 – 8, Brisbane, Australia. ACM Press. Pages 619-631 (Best Paper Award)
- Giaccardi, E., Cila, N., Speed, C. and Caldwell, M. (2016) Thing Ethnography: Doing Design Research with Non-Humans. In DIS ’16 Proceedings of the 2016 ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems. June 4 – 8, Brisbane, Australia. ACM Press. Pages 377-387.
- Giaccardi, E., Kuijer, L., Neven, L. (2016) Design for Resourceful Ageing: Intervening in the Ethics of Gerontechnology. In Proceedings of DRS 2016 Design Research Society 50th Anniversary Conference. June 27 – 30, Brighton, UK.
- Vermeeren A.P.O.S. , Calvi L., Sabiescu A., Trocchianesi R., Stuedahl D., Giaccardi E. (2016) Involving the Crowd in Future Museum Experience Design. In Proceedings of CHI EA ’16: Proceedings of the 2016 CHI Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems. May 7 – 10, San Jose, California. ACM Press. Pages 3347-3354.
- Pasman, G., Rozendaal, M.C. (2016) Exploring interaction styles using video. In Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education, Aalborg University, Denmark, 2016.
- Boon, M.J.B., Rozendaal, M.C., Stappers, P.J. (2015). Playscapes as a design perspective on children’s physical play and wellbeing. Conference: CHI2015 workshop: Supporting Children to Engage in Play for Wellbeing.
- Caldwell, M., N. Cila, E. Giaccardi (2015) A Day in the life of a thing: Reconsidering practices of time, space, and power. In 31st EGOS (European Group for Organizational Studies) Colloquium, 2-5 July 2015, Athens, Greece.
- Calvi L., Vermeeren A.P.O.S. (2015) DIY Platform for Innovative Small Museum Experiences. Workshop Cultural Heritage Communities: Technologies & Challenges at Conference Communities & Technologies 2015, June 28, 2015, Limerick, Ireland.
- Cila, N.. E. Giaccardi, M. Caldwell, N. Rubens, Tynan-O’Mahony, F., C. Speed (2015) Listening to an everyday kettle: How can the data objects collect be useful for design research? In Proceedings of the 4th Participatory Innovation Conference (PIN-C 2015), 18-20 May 2015, Den Haag, Netherlands, 500-506.
- Cila, N, E. Giaccardi, F. Tynan-O’Mahony, C. Speed, M. Caldwell (2015) Thing-centered narratives: A study of object personas. In Proceedings of the 3rd Seminar International Research Network for Design Anthropology, 22-23 January 2015, Aarhus, Denmark.
- D’Olivo, P., Rozendaal, M.C., Giaccardi, E. (2015). Fostering psychosocial development and wellbeing for teenagers with cancer through playful experiences. Conference: CHI2015 workshop: Supporting Children to Engage in Play for Wellbeing.
- Giaccardi, E. (2015) Designing the Connected Everyday. Interactions 22(1): 26-31 (cover story).
- Giaccardi, E. and Karana, E. (2015) Foundations of Materials Experience: An Approach for HCI. CHI 2015: 2447-2456.
- Kuijer, L. and Giaccardi, E. (2015) Considering Artifacts as Co-performers of Practice, in Strengers, Y. and Maller, C. (eds) Animals, Automated Devices and Ecosystems: A Symposium on the Agencies of Dynamic Non-Humans in Theories of Practice, October 9-10, Barcelona, Spain.
- Robbins, Holly; Elisa Giaccardi; Elvin Karana; and Patrizia D’Olivo. (2015). “Understanding and Designing with (and for) Material Traces.” Studies in Material Thinking 13(01).
- Robbins, Holly; Elisa Giaccardi; and Elvin Karana. “De-Commodifying the Device: A Materialist Design Approach for Communication With and Through Connected Objects.” Workshop: The Future of Making: Where Industrial and Personal Fabrication Meet. Critical Alternatives 2015. Aarhus, Denmark. August 2015.
- Robbins, Holly. “Disrupting the Device Paradigm: Designing for Mutual Praxis in Connected Objects.” Participatory Innovation Conference 2015. The Hague, The Netherlands. May 2015.
- Schellekens, K., Day, D., Giaccardi, E., Hung, H., Gedik, E., Quiros, L. C., & Martella, C. (2015) Impact of connected objects on social encounters, in Valkenburg, R. et al. (ed) Reframing Design. Proceedings of the 4th Participatory Innovation Conference 2015 (PIN-C2015), The Hague, The Netherlands: University of Applied Sciences, pp. 416-423.
- Giaccardi, Elisa; Elvin Karana; Holly Robbins; and Patrizia D’Olivo. (2014) “Growing traces on objects of daily use: A product design perspective for HCI.” Proceedings of the 2014 conference on Designing interactive systems. ACM, 2014.
- Giaccardi, E., Speed, C., Grossen, J., van Allen, P. (2014) The Things About Design: Of Ghosts, Spirits and Material Practices. In Redström, J., Stolterman, E., Valtonen, A., & Wiltse, H. (Eds.) Companion to DRS 2014: Design’s Big Debates, Umeå University, Umeå, p.175.
- Giaccardi, E., Speed, C., Rubens, N. (2014) Things making things: An ethnography of the impossible. International Research Network for Design Anthropology, 10-11 April 2014, Aarhus, Denmark
- Li, J. Cai, R., de Ridder, H., Vermeeren, A.P.O.S., van Egmond, R. (2014). A Study on Relation between Crowd Emotional Feelings and Action Tendencies. In NordiCHI ’14 Proceedings of the 8th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction: Fun, Fast and Foundational (pp. 775-784). New York: ACM.
- Li J., Vermeeren A.P.O.S., de Ridder H. (2014) Designerly Ways of Exploring Crowds. International Journal of Cultural and Creative Industries, vol. 2, nr. 1. pp. 4-17, ISSN: 2311-9527.
- Vermeeren, APOS, Beusekom, J van, Rozendaal, MC & Giaccardi, E (2014). Design for complex persuasive experiences: Helping parents of hospitalized children take care of themselves. In R Wakkary & S Harrison (Eds.), DIS 2014, Proceedings of the 2014 conference on designing interactive systems (pp. 335-344). New York: ACM.
- Giaccardi, E., Ciolfi, L., Hornecker, E., Speed, C., Bardzell, S., Stappers, P. J., … & Rozendaal, M. (2013, April). Explorations in social interaction design. In CHI’13 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 3259-3262). ACM.
Previous Relevant Work
- Giaccardi, E. (2012) Heritage and social media: Understanding heritage in a participatory culture, London: Routledge.
- Giaccardi, E. (2005) Metadesign as an Emergent Design Culture, Leonardo 38 (4), 342-349.
- Rozendaal, M., Vermeeren, A., Bekker, T., & de Ridder, H. (2011). A research framework for playful persuasion based on psychological needs and bodily interaction. In Human Behavior Understanding (pp. 116-123). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Rozendaal, M., van der Helm, A., Aprile, W., Vermeeren, A., Bekker, T., Kanis, M., & Middendorf, W. (2012). Designing Persuasive Interactive Environments. In Ambient Intelligence (pp. 455-456). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.